Whether you tripped off a curb or sprained your ankle playing a highly competitive sport, ankle sprains really slow you down. The first step is to minimize weight bearing on the affected ankle and use the “RICE” principle of “Resting, Icing, Compressing and Elevating”. This will help minimize inflammation and better allows your doctor or one of our physical therapists to evaluate you. You may be unsure if you may have fractured a bone in the foot or lower leg so consulting an orthopedist first is a smart decision so they can evaluate and obtain imaging to rule out a fracture.
There are three (3) primary grades of ankle sprain with a “Grade 3” indicating complete tear of a ligament or ligaments and is the most severe. Don’t freak out if this is the case though as the orthopedists and podiatrists in our area are exceptional and BreakThrough’s physical therapists have extensive experience in helping you through every phase.
If you have suffered from chronic ankle sprains and note that your ankle is “loose” or hypermobile, it is good to be evaluated by a highly qualified and skilled physical therapist who will take a comprehensive approach to your care. Often times the shape of your foot, gait pattern and flexibility/strength of the bigger muscles of your legs as well as your core can all have an impact on your foot and ankle mechanics.
Many of our patients/clients are amazed by the success they have after completing a physical therapy, wellness or sports performance program with us because they know to not just focused on their ankle. They truly understand all the components that help them to be successful on their own. No individual is the same, so trying to solve your own problems almost always:
- delays your ability to return to your desired activities
- ends up costing you more time and money in the long run
- gets frustrating and causes further stress and potentially even affects your work performance, attendance and/or relationships with others
Our physical therapists have extensive experience in evaluation and treatment of all foot and ankle conditions including acute or chronic ankle sprains. We take a comprehensive approach via taking a thorough history so that we learn about you, your current situation, past experiences and of course your short/long term goals. We then conduct a thorough evaluation and educate you along the way as a partner in your rehabilitation through our physical therapy, wellness and sports performance programs. To learn more about our services for ankle sprains and ability to help you return to the lifestyle you desire:
- Call 408-736-7600 to speak with one of our Care Coordinators
- Complete our Contact Us Form
- Choose from any of our various e-papers to download and learn more about our services and programs
- Click here to learn more about BreakThrough’s Physical Therapy Programs for Foot and Ankle Pain
- Click here to learn about BreakThrough’s Wellness Programs
- Click here to learn about BreakThrough’s Sports Performance Programs